- 4–6 large potatoes, baked and cooled
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 (4 oz) pkg instant mashed potatoes, prepared according to pkg directions or 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- Toppings – shredded cheese, bacon bits, and green onion
- Peel the baked potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- In a large stock potatoes, melt butter. Saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Add in flour and cook for a minute or 2 until golden.
- Slowly add in chicken broth and water. Cook until begins to thicken. Add salt, basil, thyme, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add in the prepared mashed potatoes. Stir to combine. Add the baked potato pieces to the soup along with the half and half and evaporated milk.
- To serve, top with cheese, bacon bits and green onion.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American