- 3 cups of sliced strawberries
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- zest of 4 lemons, divided
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups well shaken buttermilk (you may need a little more if you want a thinner batter)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- In a bowl, combine the sliced strawberries, sugar, and 1 tbsp of lemon zest. Set aside to macerate while you make the pancakes.
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in medium bowl.
- Add the buttermilk, eggs, and oil to a separate bowl and stir just until blended.
- Add the wet ingredient to the dry ingredients along with the poppy seed and remaining lemon zest just until combined. Do not over mix, batter will be slightly lumpy. Add additional buttermilk or milk if needed to thin the batter slightly.
- Lightly coat skillet with oil. Heat to medium low (I do one notch below medium).
- Drop 1/4 cup of batter onto heated skillet. Use the back side of a spoon to help even out the batter if needed.
- Cook on first side until bubbles begin to form on surface and underside is golden, about 2 minutes.
- Flip over and cook another 2 minutes until golden brown and center springs back when lightly touched.
- Serve immediately topped with the strawberry mixture. Makes 10-12 pancakes.