- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 sour cream
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon zest
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a bowl, whisk flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, and eggs until smooth. Gently fold the wet mixture into flour mixture until just combined. It will be thick almost like biscuit dough before you mix in the wet ingredient. Fold in melted butter. Do not overmix. If you overmix, the muffins will be dense. The batter will look thick like cookie dough.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While muffin are baking, in a sauce pan, simmer sugar and lemon juice together over medium heat until it turns into a light syrup, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove muffin tin to a wire rack. Brush muffins with lemon syrup. Keep brushing until syrup is all used up. Allow to cool in tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool for another 10 minutes before serving. Makes 12 muffins.