- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup finely diced celery
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 finely diced medium onion
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Turn your instant pot to saute and pour in the chicken broth and crushed tomatoes while you prepare the vegetables. This will help to basically help preheat the instant pot.
- Add in the prepared celery, carrots, and onion, along with the oregano, basil, and bay leaf.
- Turn off the saute function and place the lid on the instant pot. Be sure the pressure valve is placed on sealing. Set your instant pot on manual for 5 minutes.
- After the instant pot comes to pressure and begins to start to count down from 5 minutes, prepare the roux. Melt butter in a sauce pan and whisk in the flour to make a thick roux. Slowly add in the milk while whisking. Once all the milk is added, cook a little more until thickened. Then add in the Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper. Whisk until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- By this time the instant pot should have completed and hopefully reduced pressure for about 5 minutes. Go ahead and turn the manual valve to reduce the remaining pressure.
- Remove bay leave from the soup. Using a immersion blender, blend the soup in the instant pot until smooth. Add in the milk mixture and whisk until well combined. You can turn on the saute function to keep the soup warm if needed. Serves 6-8.
This was prepared in a 6 qt Instant Pot.
For the slow cooker version, add everything you would add to the Instant Pot to the crock pot. Cover and cook on LOW for about 5-7 hours or on HIGH for about 3-4. The follow the rest of the directions as listed to prepare the roux, blend the soup, and add in the roux.