- For the roast:
- 3 lbs beef chuck roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 pkgs brown gravy dry mix
- For the mashed potatoes:
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ cup sour cream
- For the sandwich:
- 12 slices of white bread or Texas toast
- Rub the salt and garlic powder into the beef roast. Pour broth into Instant Pot and place the chuck roast in the bottom of the pot.
- Cover and lock the lid into place. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set to cook on manual/pressure for 70 minutes. When time is do a quick pressure release.
- Open the Instant Pot and place a steamer basket on top of the beef. Add the potatoes to the steamer basket. If you don’t have a steamer basket just add the potatoes straight into the Instant Pot. Lock the lid into placeand make sure valve is set to seal. Cook on manual/pressure for 8 minutes. When the time is allow the pressure release naturally for 15 minutes then move to quick release to release any remaining pressure. Remove the lid.
- Add the potatoes into a large bowl and mash. Add in the butter, milk, kosher salt, garlic powder and sour cream and stir/mash until smooth and creamy.
- Move the roast to a cutting board and let it rest. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Slowly whisk in the water followed by the gravy packages. It will start to thicken in a couple of minutes. To make a thicker gravy add in a cornstarch slurry (in a small bowl stir together 1-2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 1-2 Tbsp of water, until smooth.Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly). Add salt and pepper the gravy to taste.
- Slice the roast or shred it. Toast the slices of bread if desired. Place 2 slices of bread on a plate and top with a portion of roast beef on. Scoop some mashed potatoes on the plate. Ladle gravy over the top of the sandwich and mashed potatoes. Serves 6.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot, pressure cooking, beef, beef sandwich