- 2 1/2 lbs chuck roast
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 diced onion
- 1 (14 oz) can beef broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 6 soft rolls
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 6 slices of provolone cheese
- Let roast rest at room temperature for 15 minutes before searing.
- Add vegetable oil to the Instant Pot and hit the sauté button.
- Season roast with the kosher salt, freshly ground pepper to taste, garlic powder on all side.
- Sear roast on all sides in Instant Pot. Remove seared roast from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Add onions to pot and sauté just until they start to soften. Add broth and let simmer. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up seared bits from the bottom of the pot as it simmers.
- Return roast to Instant Pot and add in the bay leaf. Close lid and make pressure release valve is set to sealing.
- Select the Meat/Stew function and increase time to 100 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 25 minutes, then vent to release any excess pressure.
- Remove roast and shred. Strain liquid through a fine mesh strainer if desired and serve warm for dipping sandwiches.
- Turn oven to broil and place sandwich rolls on a baking sheet. Spread butter over inside of rolls and toast 2-3 minutes, just until gold brown.
- Place meat onto rolls and top with cheese. Return to broiler and heat just until cheese has started to melt.
- Serve sandwiches with warm au jus for dipping.