- 1 (12 oz.) package maple or regular breakfast pork sausage links (14 links), cooked according to package
- 14 5-inch wooden skewers
- 1 (32 fl.oz.) bottle Crisco® Pure Canola Oil
- 1 1/4 cups Hungry Jack® Complete Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle Mix (Just Add Water) OR Hungry Jack® Complete Extra Light & Fluffy Pancake & Waffle Mix (Just Add Water)
- 1/3 cup Martha White® Self-Rising Enriched Yellow Corn Meal Mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup milk or buttermilk (I used buttermilk)
- Hungry Jack® Original Syrup
- Insert skewer into each cooked sausage from one end. Heat oil in 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk pancake mix, corn meal mix and salt. Add egg and milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Dip each sausage in batter until fully coated. I found it helpful to use a knife and basically frost the sausage with the batter.
- Cook 3 at a time in hot oil, 50 to 60 seconds or until golden brown, turning constantly. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining sausages. Serve immediately with syrup alongside.
To make 5-inch skewers, cut 10-inch skewers in half.
If you don’t have self-rising cornmeal you can make your own by combining the following:
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup plus 3 Tbsp cornmeal