- 4 medium red apples, such as braeburn, cortland or fuji, chilled (I used gala)chilled in the fridge for at least 1 hour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Skewer each apple stem with a lollipop stick or thick bamboo skewer.
- In a 4-quart, heavy saucepan, heat the cream and salt over medium heat until steaming hot. Stir in the honey and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Continue to boil, stirring constantly, until the mixture registers 260° on a candy thermometer (I know my candy thermometer temp needs to be 255). This takes about 30 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and add the vanilla.
- Stir the caramel with a wooden spoon until it’s thick enough to coat the apples without running off, about 5 minutes. (If the caramel thickens too much, return the pan to medium heat and stir.)
- Wipe the chilled apples dry. Working with 1 at a time, hold the apple by the stick and dip into the caramel, tilting the saucepan and twirling the apple to coat all but a 1-inch border around the stem. Place the caramel apples on the prepared baking sheet and refrigerate for 20 minutes before serving.