- 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- scant 1 cup milk (I used skim)
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 10–12 hot dogs
- brochettes or wooden skewers, cut in half
- Preheat some oil in a deep fryer or large skillet to 365 degrees. You need it to be a couple of inches deep and the pan needs to be large enough to fit the corn dogs in. I used my Le Cruset oval dutch oven. You want to completely submege the corn dogs in the oil.
- Place 1 Tbsp of the vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measure cup. Then add enough milk to measure 1 cup. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flour,corn meal, sugar, baking powder,salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Add milk and eggs then whisk until well combined.
- Insert skewer in hot dog and dip in batter. Coat hot dog well and fry in 356 degree oil until golden brown. Drain on towels.