- In a mixing bowl, add the cake mix, 1/2 cup softened butter and egg. Mix with a mixer until it resembles cookie dough. This takes a couple of minutes. No worries, it does eventually combine to resemble a cookie dough.
- Place dough if the refrigerator for 15 minutes. While dough chills preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Then roll dough out to about 1/8 of an inch thick and cut into heart shapes. I used this Wilton cookie cutter.
- Place on cookie sheet with enough room in between these cookies will spread about 1/4 an inch while baking. You can re-roll scraps. I would place scraps after re-rolling a second time in the fridge for 15 minutes again and then do a 3rd and/or 4th rolling out and you should be done cutting out the cookies.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Allow to cool on the sheet for 1 minute before moving to a cooking rack.
- When cookies are cooled, mix all of the frosting ingredients together with a mixer until well combined. Frost on cooled cookies. Makes 14 cookies but can vary on the size cookie cutter you use.