- For the cake:
- 1 strawberry cake mix
- 1 1/3 cup guava nectar or guava juice
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- For the cream layer:
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 (8 oz) container Cool Whip, thawed
- For the guava layer:
- 2 cups guava nectar or guava juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 Tbsp water
- pink or red food coloring
- Spray a 9×13 glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and bake according to cake mix package directions. Allow cake to cool before adding the next layer.
- Next fold in the Cool Whip and spread over the cooled cake. Place in the refrigerator while you make the guava layer.
- For the guava layer – In a medium saucepan, bring the 2 cups guava juice and sugar to a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch and water together well in a small bowl. Remove guava juice from heat and stir in the cornstarch mixture.
- Return to heat and bring back to a boil and boil for one minute. If desired, add a drop of food coloring to make the guava layer pink. Mine was more of an orange collor and needed the food coloring.
- Allow the guava mixture to cool. While cooling, stir it ocassionally to help it cool down faster.
- When the guava layer has cooled, spread it over the top of the cream layer of the cake. Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve. Serves 12.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Hawaiian