- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 16 hot dogs, patted dry with paper towels
- 16 popsicle stick or other wooden sticks
- In a large dutch oven heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 365 degrees.
- In a bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, slat, sugar, and baking soda. Add egg and milk to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- You want the batter to be thick enough. Take a spoonful of the batter and pour it from the spoon back into the bowl. It want it to slightly mound with place back in the bowl. Add more milk or flour to the batter to make it the correct consistency.
- Pout batter into a tall drinking cup or glass. This makes it easier for dipping.
- Insert sticks into the hot dogs and dip in batter. Be sure to coat evenly and allow excess batter to drip off.
- Cook 2-3 corn dogs in oil at a time. Turn as needed until nice and golden. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Serve with ketchup and mustard. Serves 8-16.