- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 loaf Texas-style toast
- canola oil, for frying
- Optional cinnamon sugar coating
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a deep skillet or dutch oven to 350 degrees.
- In the meantime, whisk the milk, flour, eggs, sugar, baking powder, vanilla and salt together in a shallow bowl.
- Cut each piece of bread into 4 pieces.
- If you want to use the cinnamon sugar coating, combine the sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Hwen the oil is heated, dip each stick of the bread in the batter, turning quickly to coat. You don’t want to soak the bread, just coat it. Place in the hot oil. Repeat with more of the sticks but don’t overcrowd the skillet. Cook until golden brown on the bottom side, about 3 minutes, then flip and cook the second side.
- Transfer the cooked sticks to a paper towel lined plate and let them sit for a minute to drain while you add another batch to the oil. Then roll the cooked sticks in the cinnamon sugar if desired. Serve warm and with syrup if desired. Makes 48 french toast sticks.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Fried
- Cuisine: American