- 2 ¼ cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp soft shortening or vegetable oil (I use canola)
- 6 cups flour
- In large mixer (I just do it in my kitchen aid with the dough hook), combine water and sugar then sprinkle with yeast. Allow to soften.
- Add salt, oil, and half flour; mix well. Add remaining flour. Leave mixer in dough. Allow to rest 10 min.
- Stir dough down and allow to rest 10 min. Repeat until dough has been stirred dough 5 times. Turn dough on floured surface. Knead 2 or 3 times.
- Divide dough in 2. Roll each dough into 9×13 inch rectangle. Roll from long side and pinch edges. Place on baking sheet with pam or cornmeal. Cover and allow to rise 30 min. With sharp knives cut 3 gashes at angle on top of dough.
- Bake 400 degrees for 30 min, check at 20 minutes (It only takes 20 minutes in my oven). Makes 2 loaves.