- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 envelope ranch salad dressing mix
- 4–1/4 cups milk (I used skim)
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and red pepper in butter until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in flour and dressing mix until smooth; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the potatoes, corn, and ham. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheese before serving. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).