- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 12 ounces grated Swiss or Gruyere cheese, divided
- 1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 croissants, sliced in half
- honey dijon mustard
- 12 ounces honey ham, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, whisk butter and flour together and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then slowly pour the milk into the butter/flour mixture while whisking. Cook until sauce is thickened.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in 1/2 cup of the Swiss cheese along with the salt, pepper, nutmeg, and Parmesan cheese. Whisk until the cheese is fully melted and set aside.
- Place the halved croissants on 2 baking sheets with the cut sides up. Bake at 400 for 4 minutes.
- remove croissants from the oven and turn over so cut sides are down. Place back in the oven for 2 minutes.
- remove croissants from the oven and assemble the sandwiches. on the bottom half of the croissant, spread some honey dijon mustard followed by a couple slices of ham and a sprinkle of half of the remaining Swiss cheese.
- Continue until all sandwiches are made. Place them on a baking cheese and top evenly with the reserved cheese sauce.and sprinkle with the remaining Swiss cheese.
- Bake sandwiches for 5 minutes. Then broil until the top of the sandwiches are golden brown.