- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup butter
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Line an 8 inch square pan with foil. Spread softened butter over foil and set aside.
- In a 3 qt saucepan, add sugar, corn syrup, and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until boiling. Then allow to boil for 4 minutes WITHOUT stirring.
- Reduce heat to medium low and mix in the sweetened condensed milk. Using a candy thermometer, cook until it reaches soft ball stage (see note to figure out proper temperature to reach soft all stage where you live. For where I live in the SaLt Lake Valley it’s 230 degrees).
- Remove from heat and mix in the vanilla. Pour mixture into the prepared pan. Allow to cool. Then refrigerate for about 1 hour before cutting. This make them easier to cut.
- Using foil, remove from pan. Remove foil from caramel and cut into pieces. Wrap with squares of waxed paper, parchment paper, or cellophane squares and twist ends. Makes 64 square or 32 rectangle caramels.
To figure our the temperature for soft ball stage where you live, test the thermometer by putting it in a pot of water. Bring it to a boil. If it boils at 212 degrees then you would bring it to 238 degrees for soft ball. Add just the temperature up or down by what temperature the water boils at.