- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 medium diced carrots
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 ounces sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 heaping Tbsp chicken flavor Better Than Bouillon
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 (10 ounces) container fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup cooked and diced chicken
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, julienned or 1 Tbsp dried basil
- In a large pot, add oil along with onion, garlic, carrots, red bell pepper, and mushrooms and cook until vegetables are soft. Sprinkle vegetables with flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in broth until smooth. Add in the Better Than Bouillon, Italian seasoning, rosemary, bay leaf, salt, black pepper, and Parmesan cheese and bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat and simmer, stirring often so cheese doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Add in the tortellini. Simmer, continue stirring occasionally, until tortellini is almost al dente. Stir in the chicken and cream. Continue to simmer until chicken is heated through.
- Remove from the heat and stir in basil. Serves 6.