- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola)
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, optional (I used this)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, oil, pumpkin and eggs. In another bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon together; add to pumpkin mixture and beat until well mixed.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine cornstarch and milk in a small saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening, butter and confectioners’ sugar. Beat in vanilla if desired. Gradually add the cornstarch mixture, beating until light and fluffy.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-in. circle 1 in. deep in the top of each cupcake. Carefully remove tops and set aside. Spoon or pipe filling into cupcakes. Replace tops. Yield: about 1-3/4 dozen (I got 2 dozen with no problem)