- 2 prepared 8″ or 9″ round chocolate cakes (I just used a Betty Crocker Chocolate Fudge cake)
- 2 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- 4 Tbsp boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup HERSHEY’S Cocoa
- 2 cup (1 pt.) cold whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- To make the mousse: Sprinkle gelatin over cold water in small cup; let stand 1 minute to soften. Add boiling water; stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool slightly.
- Stir together sugar and cocoa in medium bowl; add whipping cream and vanilla. Beat on medium speed of mixer, scraping bottom of bowl occasionally, until mixture is stiff. Pour in gelatin mixture; beat until well blended. Store in the refrigerator while you make the frosting.
- To make the frosting: Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Whisk together powdered sugar and cocoa. Gradually add powdered sugar mixture alternately with 3 Tbsp. milk, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating at low speed until blended and smooth after each addition. Beat in up to 4 Tbsp. additional milk for desired consistency.
- To make the cake: Place one of the round cakes on your serving plate and top with chocolate mousse. Top with remaining cake round and frost entire cake with chocolate buttercream frosting. Be careful at the spots where the chocolate mousse is. You need to get the frosting to just cover those spots, if you spread to much in those areas the chocolate mousse can get mixed into the frosting. Keep cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve. You can bring it out a little before serving to allow the frosting to soften.