- 15 mini or cocktail sized day-old croissants, split (10 oz. pkg)
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 eggs
- 5 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1–1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- chocolate ganche (optional, recipe below)
- 1 cup (6 oz) semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Slice all of the croissants in half. Line the bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray with croissant bottoms You may have a couple extra bottoms.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and replace croissant tops. Just match the tops the best you can. Then with any of the extra croissants, break them into pieces and fill in any gaps.
- In a large bowl, Whisk the eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla until well blended.
- Pour the mixture over the croissants. If any of the tops are floating use a fork to help gently press them down to soak in the mixture. Let stand for 15 minutes or until croissants are softened.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve drizzled with warm chocolate ganache if desired.
- For the ganache, Use a double boiler to melt chocolate chips in the cream or in a microwave safe bowl, combine chocolate and cream. Microwave on High for 20-seconds and stir. Then microwave in 10 second intervals until chocolate is melted. Makes 12 servings.