- For the dough:
- 1 pkg or 2¼ tsp yeast
- 1⅓ cups warm water (110-115°F)
- 3½ cups flour
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- For the topping:
- 1 small head garlic
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- Ground pepper and sea salt to taste
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- ½ cup mozzarella
- First thing you need to do is roast the head of garlic. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Slice off the top so the cloves are exposed inside. Place, cut side up, in an oven safe disht and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Season with some salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 375 degrees for about 35-40 minutes. The cloves will be very soft inside. Set aside.
- Make the dough: In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with a hook attachment, combine the yeast and warm water. Stir it around and let sit for 5 minutes. Then add in the flour, olive oil, salt, and sugar. Mix by hand with a wooden spoon or with the mixer on low speed for 1 minute.
- Once combined, knead for 7 minutes by hand or with your mixer on low-medium speed. If your dough is too wet, slowly add up to ¼ cup more flour. After kneading, your dough should be smooth and elastic. Poke it with your finger – if it slowly bounces back, your dough is ready to rise. If not, keep kneading.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a large bowl that has been coated lightly with olive oil. Turn it over to coat all sides. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm area for about 1½ hours or until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and ivide the dough into two. Roll each half into a ball and let rest in two separate bowls, lightly covered, for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Chop up the roasted garlic and combine it with the melted butter in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Roll out each ball of dough out into a 7×10-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface . Top each dough rectangle with melted butter/roasted garlic mixture. Then top with grated Parmesan. Using a very sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut rectangles into long strips, about 1½ inches in width. Twist each strip up and top with a little more Parmesan cheese if desired. You will end up with 14 strips.
- Place 7 breadsticks per baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 16-17 minutes. Then, remove from the oven, push the 7 breadsticks together so they’re all touching, and top with ½ cup of shredded cheese. Return to the oven for about 4-5 more minutes or until done. Repeat the process with second batch and remaining ½ cup of cheese. Makes 14 servings.
- Prep Time: 2 hours 27 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian