- 4–5 large tomatoes (I use 8 roma tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 long baguette loaf, cut into slices
- 1 (8 oz) container of spreadable light cream cheese
- Slice the tomatoes, removing most of the juice and seeds.
- In a large non-stick skillet, add the sugar and butter. Heat over medium heat while stirring until the mixture reaches a low boil.
- Add in to tomato slices and arrange in a single layer.
- Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Then add in the salt and pepper and simmer just a little longer until tomatoes are soft and the mixture has thickened. Set aside.
- Spread some cream cheese over each baguette slice and top with some of the tomato mixture. Serve as is or place on a baking sheet and broil until the cream cheese is soft and golden. Makes about 24 servings.