- 5 slices of bacon, finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 (15.25 ounce) cans of black beans drained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Sour cream, tortilla strips or chips and cheddar cheese for serving
- Cook bacon over med-high heat for 3 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Add onions and garlic and cook until onion is tender.
- Add beans, broth, cumin, and chili powder. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon ½ of the mixture into a blender and process until smooth, but be careful when using a blender with really hot food. Keep the lid slightly cracked to release steam or you can end up with a soup explosion. (you could also blend half of it with an immersion bender) Return mixture to pan and combine with the other ½ of the soup. Mix well and serve. Serve this with sour cream, tortilla chips or strips and cheese if desired.