This post may contain affiliate links.
Happy Better Breakfast Month! Did you know that September is Better Breakfast Month? Well today, I wanted to celebrate the month along with you and California Almonds.
California Almonds are challenging people to makeover their breakfasts for at least one week during Better Breakfast Month. Then simply visit almondboard.com/BetterBreakfast, submit a photo of one of your better breakfast made with almonds and let them know why it’s better for you. By entering, you could win a year’s supply of almonds. Winners will be posted daily on their Facebook page.
I also wanted to share better breakfast tips and recipes from nationally known registered dietitian Bonnie Taub-Dix.
- The ideal morning meal combines protein, complex carbs and good fats. Like the three legs of a stool, this trio supplies a nutritious breakfast guaranteed to keep you full until lunch. Try almond butter on 100% whole grain toast with berries, or Greek yogurt with a small handful of chopped almonds along with your favorite fruit! (I like to put almond butter on my toast followed by slice banana and a drizzle of honey!)
- Raise a glass to a refreshing way to start the day with this unique, really tasty smoothie: in a blender combine 1/2 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup of plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 baked sweet potato, 1/2 banana, 1 tablespoon of almond butter and 3 ice cubes. Blend together and you’ll be off to a smooth start with the natural sweetness of the banana and sweet potato, both potassium powerhouses!
- Sauté a small amount of mushrooms, bell peppers and spinach while you’re making dinner and store in the fridge for your morning omelet. An omelet is a perfect carrier for the veggies most of us don’t get enough of each day. Pair with 100% whole grain toast to provide an energizing pick-me-up.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth with a second breakfast “sundae” treat. Swirl a tablespoon of almond butter and a teaspoon of sweetened cocoa into oatmeal; top with fresh fruit and some warm skim milk and you’ll have a breakfast that will surely keep you company till lunch.
- The most successful ‘losers’—when it comes to weight loss—eat breakfast daily, according to the National Weight Control Registry. Even a simple starter, like a slice of 100% whole grain toast with almond butter, can be a winning combo to help you lose weight and feel satisfied.
- Beat an egg along with a dash of vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Dip a slice of 100% whole grain toast bread into the egg mixture and cook on the stovetop in a nonstick pan. Top with sliced almonds, warm berries or sliced banana for an easy way to enjoy a hot, well-rounded breakfast.
- For some morning decadence, try this DIY Banana Almond Muffin – it’s so easy to bake and even easier to love! Swap in ingredients like dried cranberries, raisins and chocolate chips. Freeze half so that the grab-and-go-goodness can last all week long. Pair with cottage cheese for a mid-week breakfast or with an omelet for a weekend brunch.
- Boost your breakfast bowl of cereal or Greek yogurt by topping it with sliced almonds and chopped dried plums or apricots. The fiber will “move you,” and the protein and good fat will help keep your energy levels stable.
- Make your own breakfast burrito by rolling up a scrambled egg, shredded part skim cheese and salsa in a 100% whole grain tortilla. You can even add a little hot sauce to spice up the start to your day! (I love to make this microwave breakfast burrito)
California almonds would also like to offer a lucky RMK reader (US-located) complimentary Better Breakfast Starter Kit (total value of approximately $50) filled with:
- One $20 Visa gift card to buy anything else that makes your breakfast better – fresh fruit, oatmeal, almond milk, etc.
- One pound of whole natural almonds
- One jar of almond butter
- One pound of sliced almonds
- One reusable, insulated travel pouch for breakfasts on-the-go
- One double-sided recipe card for better breakfast inspiration
See the rafflecopter widget below to enter.
Disclosure: I also received a Better Breakfast Starter Kit and information for this post from California Almonds. However, my opinions are always my own.
I like almonds plain or lightly toasted with a little salt!
I just eat them plain by the handfull!
I like to make granola with almonds
I love to eat plain ol’ almonds by the handful!
I love almonds with a little fresh fruit and cheese for a snack!!
I love almonds! Raw, in oatmeal, in yogurt, on salad…love it all!
My favorite way to eat almonds is roasted, soaked and blitzed powerfully with milk and brown sugar to have a power real almond smoothie every morning!
I love almonds in my oatmeal.
I eat granola with whole almonds for breakfast every morning–on top of my oatmeal. Thanks! Almonds are my favorite nut.
I love to eat almonds with a granny apple or mini carrot sticks for a healthy and yummy snack.
I eat them mixed with greek yogurt and fresh berries.
I love almonds in granola, plain, and with chicken in a lemon sauce.
We love almonds in homemade granola and on salads. Delicious.
Love my almonds! I eat a handful a day, whether they’re plain, cocoa-roasted, cinnamon sugared, or in a bag of trail mix!
I like to eat almonds as a garnish to my salads. Thanks.
I love them plain!
I just pop them in my mouth.
I love almonds in granola or chocolate.
i have to admit its jordan almonds but i love any type of almond
I love almonds in almost every way, especially almond butter with apples!
Sprinkled on my cottage cheese.
i love chocolate covered almonds
Either toasted or on a salad.
Almonds are a healthy snack that taste delicious!
Almonds are a tasty, healthy snack. Thanks for the giveaway.
Love eating them plain as a snack!
Almond butter on toast
by the handful or toasted on a salad!
I like almonds in chicken salad
almond butter on toast!
Oh I love them on top of spinach salad!!!!
Smoked almonds are addictive!
Every afternoon I have a handful of almonds and an apple as a snack!
I CANNOT live without my morning almond milk breakfast smoothie!! I love it so much that sometimes I make it twice in one day.
I love Almond Butter and apple slices.
I love dark chocolate and almonds!
I love raw almonds as a snack when I get hungry during the day!
I love them in my oatmeal. Thanks for the chance to enter.
I love putting my almonds in oatmeal with cinnamon in the mornings and fruit. Yum.
I love to add them to my oatmeal.
I love to use almonds when I make granola.
I love almonds, especially covered in chocolate 🙂
I love adding almonds to my granola bars or granola mix.
I love to eat almonds in 100 calorie packs and eat them often I also drink almond milk and eat almond buttor when it is on sale. thanks so much for the chance to winthis great giveaway
I like to substitute almonds for other nuts in baking.
I like to eat almonds with greek yogurt
My favorite way to eat almonds is in homemade granola bars!
I like almonds in a grape and chicken salad, but I also like to eat them by themselves.
Love the 100 calorie packets. Have at least one,and up to 3 of them a day!!
Love them plain.
I like to reat roasted almonds with cereal, and on mix trail.
I like roasted almonds as snacks.
I like them in trail mix with things like dried fruit, coconut, chocolate chips, etc.
I actually love to eat raw almonds but I also love them in salads and my homemade granola!
I love almond crusted tilapia
Out of the bag 🙂 — or in awesome baked goods
I like them plain – such a satisfying snack!
i like them plain for snacks
I love almonds just plain for snacking.
I love to eat them plain!
I eat almonds in lots of ways, but I have to admit my favorite is chocolate covered almonds. At least I’m getting something healthy with my chocolate, right??
I love to eat almonds plain or on a salad!