- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk or 1 1/2 cups sour cream or plain yogurt thinned with 1/4 cup milk (I did buttermilk)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Cooking spray for waffle iron
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt, sugar, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, mix together the buttermilk (or buttermilk substitute) and the egg yolks. Stir in the butter, mashed banana, and vanilla.
- Spray the waffle iron lightly with oil and preheat it.
- Add the wet into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl with a whisk or electric mixer (make sure bowl and mixer are spotlessly clean) until they hold soft peaks. Fold them gently into the batter.
- Spread a ladleful or so of batter onto the waffle iron and bake until the waffle is done, usually 3 to 5 minutes, depending on your iron.