- Butter, for greasing baking dish
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small diced onion
- 12 ounces mild breakfast sausage (I used Jimmy Dean)
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups (4 ounces) grated Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (you can sprinkle in some dried, but fresh tastes wonderful)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly butter an 8 by 8-inch baking dish.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the red pepper and onion, cook until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Remove onion and pepper to a bow land set aside, in the same pan Add the sausage and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Set the pan aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper, to taste, until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add the red bell pepper and onions, sausage, 1 cup of Swiss cheese and 1/4 cup of parsley. Stir in the onion mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.Cut the baked omelet into squares and sprinkle with remaining parsley before serving. Serves 6-9.
To make individual servings, divide the batter between 4 buttered 8-ounce ramekins. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes.