- 1 loaf of square shaped sandwich bread
- spreadable margarine from a tub
- 3 cups of grated cheddar cheese (the sharper the better)
- 1/2 pound or 2 cups diced ham
- 1/4 cup diced green onion
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. prepared mustard
- Trim crust off bread. Save crust for another use.
- Spread butter each side of the bread with the margarine.
- Place a layer bread in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan, just enough buttered slices to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Then layer 1 cup of the cheese, half the ham, and half the green onion.
- Place another layer of buttered bread slices.
- Top with 1 cup cheese, remaining ham, and remaining green onion.
- In a bowl, beat egg, milk, salt, paprika, and mustard together. Pour over layers in pan.
- Top with remaining cheese and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes, until knife comes out clean. Serves 9-12