- In a skillet, cook the apple slices with the lemon juice until they start to soften.
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and cook for 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and mix in 1 Tbsp butter until melted. Allow mixture to cool.
- Once mixture is cooled preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Open puff pastry and cut each sheet into 4 squares.
- Place a spoonful of the cooled apple mixture on half of each square.
- Fold over each half of the square sealing edges, creating a rectangle. Cut 3 slits on the top of each pastry.
- Place pastries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cook at 375 for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly while you prepare the icing.
- In a small sauce pan, melt the remaining 2 Tbsp butter.
- Add the brown sugar and milk to the melted butter. Cook over medium low heat for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla and powdered sugar until icing is smooth. Drizzle over cooked turnovers. Makes 8.
To warm leftovers, place a turnover on a plate and microwave for 10 seconds.