- 6 slices day-old sourdough bread, cubed, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins, optional (I left these out)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk (I used 3/4 cup skim milk and 1/2 cup cream)
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- powdered sugar
- maple syrup
- Place half the bread cubes in a lightly greased 11x 8 inch baking dish.
- Distribute cream cheese cubes evenly over bread cubes.
- Top with apples and raisins; cover with remaining bread cubes.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg together.
- Slowly pour over bread mixture; be sure bread is completely covered.
- Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°; bring strata to room temperature before baking.
- Bake, uncovered, 50-55 minutes, until set.(If you don’t want a crunchy top try to cover it for the first 25 minutes of cooking and the cook it uncovered for the remaining 25 minutes).
- Let stand 10 minutes; sprinkle with powdered sugar or pass maple syrup at the table.
- Cut into squares and serve. Serves 12.