- 1 3- to 4-pound chicken, roasted or a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken (about 3 cups)
- 1 large egg
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1/4 cup half and half or whole milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pull the meat off the chicken and cut or shred into bite-size pieces. Place in a dish in a 250 degree oven to warm until ready to serve.
- To make the gravy: Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Sprinkle the flour evenly over the melted butter and whisk together.
- Cook, whisking frequently, until the mixture turns toasty golden. It will remain pale for a few minutes, then toast quickly, so keep an eye on it.
- Slowly add in chicken stock, while whisking. Whisk until the gravy is smooth. Add the half and half and cook, stirring frequently, until the gravy thickens and comes to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the waffles, preheat your waffle maker.
- Separate the egg yolk and white. Place the egg white in a small bowl and the yolk in a large bowl.
- In the large bowl, add the milk to the yolk and whisk together. Add the melted butter, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Whisk together until just until combined; some lumps may remain.
- Beat the egg white by hand or with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold the egg white into the batter/
- Grease the waffle maker, if necessary, and pour the batter evenly into the waffle iron. Cook according to manufacturers instructions.
- To serve, top waffle with chicken and drizzle with gravy. Serves 4.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: chicken
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American